Upcoming Meeting

Our final meeting of Fall Semester will be on December 8th at 4:30 in the Dining Hall.  We will be discussing the success of our November Fundraiser, plans for the winter and spring semesters, and determining the date/times of our Winter and Spring Semester monthly meetings.  Please attend!

November 12, 2008 at 9:43 am Leave a comment

September 8, 2008

Open: 4:30-5:20
Present:  Rae Ann, Aerynn, Ben, Josh, Hans, Tori, Teri, Roy, David, Adria, Victor, Kayla, Adam

New Business:
Welcome—Rae Ann

Treasurer’s Report—David:  new balance $269.70

Grad Program Survival School  (Teri)
–social event by Phi Alpha Theta for new grad students:  Friday night in Turlock (Wellingtons?)
–Teri and Rae to attend graduate classes on Monday and Tuesday night to make announcement, start e-mail list with suggestions for time/place

PAT Booth
–Spot obtained on main walkway, time spent at picnic table encouraged for all members beyond mandatory 1hr per week

-Adria:  hold meetings at booth

Activity Suggestions for Fall Semester
-Halloween Party (Friday!!)  will need a different venue, Adria’s house booked

                -or Saturday night “All Saints’ Day” party!!!
                -lecture the weekend before on the history of the holiday?
-Josh:  movie night linked with discussion or debates, current events
                -possibly reserve a room on campus, open invitation for anyone
                  interested

                -State Theater?  Turlock Community Theater? 
-Historical Tour: work with Jennie Kendrick to tour Barbary Coast
-Informal attendance at Renaissance Faire
Saturday, September 27th Party at Adria’s
Officers’ meeting Tuesday

Fundraising Suggestions
-lectures or debates with faculty, sell food at those events or donations

-increased involvement with on-campus events

Open Forum
Adria—add decoration to Graduate Lounge, discussion/bulletin board

Teri—generate accurate membership roster of active members, alumni members
Tori—work with Dr. Garone to establish a new member procedure checklist
Ask Muncy to put together a calendar of events; need to update PAT website (WordPress) and department website
Aerynn: responsible for checking mail in Student Activities Center
Roy:  will leave sign-up sheet for PAT Polo Shirts in mailbox in the History Department

November 12, 2008 at 9:18 am Leave a comment

October 16, 2008

Open:  4:50-6:00
Present: Dr. Garone, Joshua, David S., Aerynn, Ben, Teri, Michelle, Isaac, Rae Ann, Adria

 
Old Business
Recap of Previous Events
·         Grad Program Survival School—good idea, but didn’t pan out
·         Welcome Back party at Adria’s (unofficial)
·         Presidential Campaign debates—went exceedingly well, increased presence on campus, but problems with surprise fees, fortunately waived
Upcoming
·         Preview Day, Saturday Oct 18, 9:30-11:30 in Dining Hall
    
o   Teri—will print flyers for PAT table, already have flyers for History department
·         Halloween Party, Nov 1st 7pm: Need to find a venue!!
·         PAT Booth: Ben will occupy table weekly, building a new booth is not a priority this year
·         Movie night:  (Teri) no public presentation of movies without distribution rights
    
o   Josh will research possibility for fundraiser with State Theatre
·         Website update, calendar of events (Paul)
    
o   Need to design new website, find out contact for updating university website
·         Future project for Winter Term:  membership roster (Teri), new member procedures (Tori)

 
New Business
·         Approval of September Minutes (Aerynn): approved; update within 48 hours
·         Treasurer’s Report (David):
    
o   New members: Summer—Gary Rooney; September 2008—Jeremy Cornish, Abby Perez
·         Conference Update (Dr. Garone): April 24-25
    
o   Invitations sent out to 15 Northern California universities
    
o   Friday meet ‘n greet at pond behind Bizzini Hall, present with list of local restaurants (David)
    
o   Saturday: Morning breakfast in Naraghi lobby; 3 classrooms in Naraghi, 3 in Science; Lunch in Event Center; Award Ceremony in Naraghi amphitheater classroom
    
o   Phil and David need to complete a budget; file request for funds (max. $600)
    
o   Winter term: need to set deadlines for paper submission, design conference programs, contact local hotels for group discount (Ben)
    
o   Need to apply for funds for next year by the Spring
    
o   Decide who will be the keynote speaker, academic but not scholarly presentation
·         Fundraising Suggestions: Needs to be ASAP before rainy season, before application for money; file event form two weeks in advance
    
o   In the next several weeks:  Thanksgiving meal on the Quad, Monday November 17, 11-2
          
§  Brainstorm and meet Monday at 4:30 for food ideas
          
§  David: find out how funding works for fundraising events
          
§  Teri: get food donated by Raley’s
    
o   St. Patrick’s Day: Corned Beef and Cabbage
    
o   Benefit concert (Boscoe’s Brood?) and invite alumni

 
Open Forum
·         (Teri) Undergraduate Multidisciplinary/History Journal, like Stanford, CSU Chico
    
o   Dr. Carroll as editor, PAT members as executive board
·         (Michelle) Make 9×12 flyers for 4000-level classes to post near department

November 12, 2008 at 9:04 am Leave a comment

April 23, 2008

Open 5:13-5:55 pm
Present:  Kayla, Damon, Aerynn, Rae, Teri, Grant, Michelle, David, Dr. Garone, Josh

Old Business
·         Recap of Phi Alpha Theta conference, Grad students swept, CSU Stanislaus will be hosting next year’s conference
·         Booth building, work on it during the summer, self-funded
·         Spring ballgame has a conflict with the Walking Tour for Turlock Historical Society
  
o   Sunday, May 18th, BBQ at noon, game at 1:30, at softball field on campus
·         Kayla:  Commemoration got approved!  Fundraising $3000 for a plaque on the North Gate of the Turlock Fairgrounds, PAT can volunteer to help with an event

New Business
·         Aerynn:  Presentation of minutes–March 10, 2008
·         Treasurer’s Report: Balance $259.70, waiting for funds to reimburse participants for registration
·         Initiation/History Department Gala, May 9th
·         PAT participation in the potluck, coordinate with Cathy
·         Officers’ meeting Monday at 5pm to discuss initiation
·         Election of next year’s officers
·         Rae will talk to Jennie about the setup on the website, ask her to proctor the voting
·         Open it up for nominations until April 30, then elections until May 8th, announce results at the Initiation
  
o   Pres:  Rae, Teri; Vice Pres:  Teri; Secretary:  Aerynn; Treasurer:  David S.; Historian:  Kayla, Michelle
·         Dean matched funds from ASI, need to do something special for her
·         Picture of attendees signed and framed, accompanied by thank-you letter, present them to her at the Gala

 
Open Floor
·         Teri:  Michelle would like brief bio from all the officers (academic and non-academic accomplishments)
·         Teri:  Committee to put together graduation celebration (Aerynn, Teri, Rae, Michelle)
·         Teri:  Historic Walk for Turlock Centennial, volunteers needed to help with the walk, write brief articles for the Historical Society Newsletter
·         Michelle:  Modesto Bee send reporter to cover the Walk, or generate our own press release?
·         Garone:  President Shirvani sent blanket e-mail to all faculty and staff regarding successful conference, congrats and thanks to Michelle for display outside History Department
·         ASI no longer funding off-campus conferences, no longer guaranteed money from the Dean
  
o   Instructionally Related Activities fund is still available; early next year, we have to write a proposal to even be eligible to apply for funding the year after next (deadline is in March)

 

 

May 12, 2008 at 3:38 pm Leave a comment

March 10, 2008

Open— 5:15 to 5:55
Present— Dr. Garone, Hans, Aerynn, Teri, Adria, Paul, Kayla, Aishah, Ben, Josh, David, Viktor, Tori, Rae Ann


Old Business:
·         Vicki Ruiz presentation (Dr. Garone) on Luisa Moreno and Latinas; full house
·         Turlock Centennial Celebration (Teri) – met with Kristen Santos, calendar of events, articles for Pioneer; individuals need to make commitments soon
   o   Vote:  official Phi Alpha Theta function, or individual capacity only:  Unanimous resolution to make this formal Phi Alpha Theta function
·         Empire Conference:  Rae Ann will call Scott Davis to find out about volunteering, registration fee
   
o   Scott Davis has not sent out e-mail regarding assignments


New Business:
·         Presentation of Feb. 18 Minutes (Aerynn)
  
o   Any alterations need to be sent to Aerynn
·         Treasurer’s Report (Teri)
·         PAT Conference
  
o   8 people submitting papers, any people who are only attending need to inform Rae Ann by Thursday to make arrangements
  
o   Schedule two sessions, week of March 17-21, to give preliminary presentations for critiques by peers and faculty
       
§  Aerynn and Teri:  Schedule paper readings with presenting students with faculty March 17-21 (e-mail faculty to attend)
  
o   Friday evening: tour of Bidwell Mansion, then dinner
  
o   For those who can leave early Friday morning, hike with Dr. Garone
·         Volunteers for booth-building
  
o   Committee for design and construction: Adria, Rae Ann, Kayla, David, Hans
  
o   Adria’s father has volunteered assistance, space, and materials
·         History Gala: faculty and Phi Alpha Theta potluck (also Warrior Day, so half-day anyway)
  
o   Need to have officer’s meeting to determine initiation rites
  
o   Incorporate PAT Initiation (need to have elections before then!): unanimous yes vote
  
o   Bring up periodically in upper-division courses to inform all the students, ask faculty to announce in their classes
  
o   Coordinate potluck arrangements with Cathy
·         Spring faculty-student-family barbecue/townball
  
o   Proposed date of  May 17th

Open Forum:
·          Kayla: Japanese-American Internment Commemoration/Monument
  
o   Contact Congressperson, Turlock fairgrounds
  
o   Vote to use Phi Alpha Theta’s name in letter to Congressperson: unanimous yea

 

May 12, 2008 at 3:21 pm Leave a comment

February 18, 2008

Open: 5:07-5:47

Attending: David, Tori, Damon, Kayla, Teri, Paul, Ben, Aishah, Aerynn, RaeAnn, Doug, Michelle, Adria, Nick, Greg, Victor

Old Business:
Teri: Solstice party went well
Adria: PAT logo polo shirts from easyprints.com

New Business:
·         Presentation of Minutes
  o   Aerynn distributed copies, any objections let her know
·         PAT Conference
    
o   Aerynn: send e-mail with deadlines and submission info; update website
    
o   9 people participating; 6 people submitting
·         Treasurer Report: submitted by Roy
·         Turlock Centennial Celebration
  o   Teri distributed information regarding research project, publication possibilities, participation in events
    
o   Discussed a group meeting of all interested members
·         Vicki Ruiz on campus March 4
    
o   Michelle will check into volunteer possibilities with Gender Studies
·         Dr. Royer: March 13-15 Empire Conference
    
o   Call for volunteers (Scott Davis – SDavis@csustan.edu)

Open Forum
·         Teri: Apply Wed for Booth Lottery (8 high, 8 wide, 4 deep; painted), raising funds to build
    
o   Committee to build; historical-looking structure

March 12, 2008 at 9:24 am Leave a comment

December 10, 2007

Called at 4:40, adjourned at 5:30
Attending: Aerynn, Teri, Roy, Paul, RaeAnn, Dr. Garone, Victor, Adria
Old Business:
-Movie night a big hit for the three that went, lots of fun
-Solstice Party: Aerynn and Teri will e-mail with sign-up list for food and directions, 7-midnight Dec. 21
-Charter is taken care of, Rae needs to watch the DVD to complete

New Business:
-minutes presented by Aerynn, correction for Chico date, entered to post
-Phi Alpha Theta Conference is at Chico State, April 11-12 (Friday/Saturday)
-Treasurer’s report presented by Roy: Balance $110.35, one new member Kayla Canelo
-Dr. Garone: start preparing for Chico conference!
-progress on updating webpage? Teri will work on this during the next month.
-seven new members so far this year for Spring Initiation
-Rae: need to get info to the Dean about joining Phi Alpha Theta, write a letter and send a check
     -Aerynn: write an invitation with the pertinent information, use the logo or history department letterhead
-Suggestions for movie night: Paul will check what is coming up, send an e-mail
-Plans for recruitment, especially for undergraduates, in Spring semester
     -talk with people in classes, push one of the social events as an open-invitation
     -increase current member participation, especially for undergraduates, as prospects for next year’s officers
     -PAT members present mini-lectures or papers in relevant classes
-Dr. Garone will e-mail new member info to officers to contact them
-historical outings? History Gala in the Spring is the only currently planned event.
-Rae: Phi Alpha Theta faculty-student barbecue/softball game? Invite other Honors Societies?

Open Forum:
-Phi Kappa Phi: while invite-only and top 10% of class, good opportunity
-Teaching assistant positions: talk to Dr. Carroll, funding dramatically cut, nothing resolved yet
-go visit Upper Bidwell park Friday morning of the Chico conference

March 12, 2008 at 9:08 am Leave a comment

Older Posts


Alpha Epsilon Lambda

Welcome to the weblog for CSU Stanislaus’ chapter of Phi Alpha Theta! Alpha Epsilon Lambda is pleased to use this space for event information, meeting minutes, and other news. We hope that you will bookmark this page and visit it often to stay updated, especially if you cannot attend meetings. Feel free to explore the “About” page to learn more about our club and our officers.

Photo Album

n729591812_110915_8671

n729591812_110914_8434

n729591812_110908_7025

n729591812_110906_6558

n729591812_110905_6326

More Photos

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.